Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I saw the sign

With the marathon fast approaching and my concentration set firmly on avoiding injury for the next 5 days, I have become acutely aware of the perils we face in everyday life. Just this morning, while riding the T to work, an unaware woman stepped squarely on my foot with her leopard print stiletto heel. I glared at the back of her head as she obliviously continued to gab on her cell phone (who she could possibly be talking to that early in the morning, I don't know). "DON'T YOU KNOW I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS!" I wanted to yell at her. And then it occurred to me; how would she know? How would anyone know? It's not like I'm wearing a sign around my neck that says "CAUTION: Marathon Runner in Training." Maybe I should... maybe we all should.

Just think of all of the times that wearing that sign would prevent you, not only from potential injury, but from having to explain yourself and your sometimes kooky behavior. Sitting down for a pedicure would no longer require, before you place your feet in front of the poor girl charged with touching them, that you explain that you're training for the marathon, you're feet might be a little gross. Walking (aka hobbling) down the stairs in front of your colleagues the week after a long run would not require you to explain that you're training for the marathon and therefore your quads feel like they might fall off if you walk down the stairs like a normal person. And riding the T would no longer require that you dodge oblivious women and their 4 inch heels because you would obviously be offered a seat by some kind soul who is sympathetic to all of that running you must be doing (okay, that last part is wishful thinking).

It's clear that the benefits far outweigh the potential fashion faux pas created by wearing a giant sign around your neck (oh, did I not mention it would be giant? It has to be so that you can warn not only those in your immediate vicinity, but also those who are farther away) With only 5 days to go (and only 2 more days of the perilous morning commute T ride) it's a little late for a sign this year, but I think it's something we should all seriously consider for next year's training. Until then, have a safe 5 days, fellow runners... and watch out for women in heels.

No comments: