Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ready

With just three weeks left until the big day, Boston is buzzing with all things marathon related- banners adorn the street lamps, Comm Ave is bustling with runners, running stores are bursting with marathon paraphernalia. It's funny, I don't remember any of this happening last year; perhaps it's because I have a slightly more vested interest in it all this time. Regardless, marathon time is upon us for sure and as I walked down Boylston St. yesterday after work, taking it all in, I couldn't help but realize that I felt no anxiety. There was no feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach, no ominous aching in my legs (aside from the residual soreness from Sunday's run), not even a little alarm in my head going off signaling impending doom. I looked down Boylston Street towards what will be the finish line on marathon day, and the only feeling I had was, "I am ready."

The funny thing is, I'm a worrier, I usually expect the worst case scenario and I'm very rarely confident in my ability to do something I have never done before (I'm a real winner, right?). As I stood there downtown though, the hustle and bustle of the city going on around me, I didn't feel any of that, I only felt ready. Maybe it's because I've been so dedicated to my training and done everything exactly how I was supposed to (ha! not quite), or maybe it's because, at this point, I am so ready to be done with training that I will convince myself of almost anything (this actually could be true, but I don't think so)- No, I think the reason I feel ready for this marathon is because I am ready to run in memory of my mom, and I am ready to run for all of those still battling cancer, and I know that no matter what happens on marathon day, I have accomlished something great and I have the support of friends, family and those who DFMC has brought me in contact with. But no matter what the reason, there is no doubt in my mind that I am ready to do this. 20 days and counting...

No comments: