Thursday, April 3, 2008

Maybe this will take the place of a phone call... probably not

I have spent a lot of time in this blog talking about how great the DFMC people are, thanking various individuals who have really helped me on the long training and fundraising road, and praising all things Jack Fultz, because... well, because"In Jack We Trust," but there is one person who deserves a bigger thank you than anyone, and up to this point I have almost completely ignored him. Well, I'm about to change that right now... Dad, this one's for you.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I drive my dad crazy sometimes... well, really, what daughter doesn't? But there are days when I quite literally will call my father upwards of 10 times. What could you possibly have to talk about that much? you're wondering. Trust me, I'm pretty sure my dad asks the same question as he picks up his phone and sees my name on the caller i.d. again. Well, the answer is... EVERYTHING. I call my dad to tell him about pretty much anything and everything that happens to me during the course of the day- Bought a new dress? Call Dad. Ate a good meal? Dad should know. Coming down with a cold? Whine at Dad. Ran into an old friend? Dad might care. Ran 12 miles? You guessed it... I'll call my dad while still catching my breath. As my dad, he is partially obligated to listen to me go on and on about the minutae of my life, I'm aware of this. But my dad definitely goes above and beyond obligation... even pretending to care when I call (for the third time in one morning, in the middle of him golfing) to inform him that I've bought a pink running shirt. Now that's dedication!

After being with me through the entire training process (via cell phone) my dad will be flying out to Boston in two weeks to see me run in the marathon. Although my goal that day is to finish the marathon, the experience wouldn't be complete without my number one supporter waiting there at the finish line to celebrate with me- not to mention it will save a little money on the cell phone bill because I won't have to call him :)

Thanks, Dad! I'll talk to you later this afternoon...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Lauren,

Thanks again for the nice "plugs" on your most enjoyable blog.

But I'm so happy for you and your dad to have the obvious friendship-relationship you two have with each other.

You honor your mother and keep her spirit alive with all you do.

And YES indeed - you are ready!

Coach Jack