Tuesday, February 19, 2008

That's what she said

This is an excerpt from Kristin Armstrong's blog on the Runner's World Website. It's almost as if she called me up and asked me how I felt about running before she wrote it. I don't have much to write about today, so I'll let her do the talking for me:

"I realized that I am out here, most days of every week, pursuing something that does not come naturally or easily to me... Never in my life, before running, did I ever push hard after something that did not rank high on the list of things that come easily to me. I have always aspired to/ excelled at things that I
was already good at. This probably stems from fear, pride, laziness or some perfection propulsion; my priest or therapist would know for sure. But running isn't like that for me. It's hard for me. I struggle. I suffer. I get discouraged. I get mad. I celebrate, sometimes. And when I chase after [my running partners] or any other zippy friend, it's not because I suck, it's because they don't. Running for some is a passion, one of their God-given talents, as natural as nursing a baby or riding a horse bareback. It isn't one of mine, and that is okay with me (or will be as soon as this epiphany sinks in), because I love it anyway... I just love it differently. I love it the way you love a rivalrous sibling, deep tissue massage, a session with your therapist, giving birth, or a big fight with someone you love. It doesn't always feel good in the moment, but ultimately you are a better person for it.

So I may not always run the way I want to run, race the way I imagine myself racing, and my performance outside may only rarely reflect the runner on the inside, but there is a certain endurance rush reserved for those of us who have to work extra hard just to stand on the start line and dream.

There is a unique beauty to pursuing the glow that resides just beyond our reach."

No comments: