Monday, February 18, 2008

Pain in the butt

I had an awesome long run on Saturday with the DFMC crew. Despite cold butts, numb elbows, foot injuries, and muscle pains, Lindsey, Sarah and I did the whole 15 miles, and managed to come out still smiling at the end. Lindsey and I continued our tradition (I use tradition loosely here... it's only happened one other time) of seeing wildlife during the last mile of our run; we saw two HUGE hawks on top of a house in the final stretch before returning to the Longfellow Club in Wayland. Anyways, it was a great run and I actually felt good at the end of it. I even managed to go home and shower afterwards and go out in Cambridge for a while with my friends before having to head home and take a much needed nap (last long run, if you remember, I passed out as soon as I got home and didn't wake up until my hunger was too great to ignore).

On Saturday night I got together with a bunch of my friends out in Watertown for a good old fashioned sleepover party.  After placing an order for delivery, I realized that my wallet was nowhere to be found.  I figured it must be out in the car somewhere so I went outside to check; no wallet in the car.   Then I thought it must have fallen off of my lap and onto the side of the road when I got out of the car when we originally parked it on the street.  So I went running down the driveway to check the street.  Two steps later my feet hit a huge patch of ice and next thing I knew I was on my back on the driveway.  I laid there for a minute and came to the conclusion that I was probably paralyzed.  When I realized that I could move my feet, I decided to try and get up.  Struggling to my feet, I could feel pain spreading like a slow moving liquid from my tail bone all the way up through my entire back.  My first thought was "How am I going to run!"

Well, I took it easy on Sunday and today my butt and back are feeling much much better.  It's a beautiful and unseasonably warm day here today so I'm even going to go out and attempt a short run and see how I feel.  Hopefully things will be back in working order for tomorrow's track workout!

By the way, I ended up finding my wallet on Saturday night.  It was lying on the side of the road.  I'll be keeping a little better track of it from now on... and keeping an eye out for ice.

1 comment:

Karin said...

:-(

poor lauren's backside.

it was good to see you the other day, however I am sorry about your injury. I love reading this blog.
Keep up the good work, lady.